The Woodsboro Murders is the best-selling follow-up novel to Wrongly Accused: The Maureen Prescott Murder (1995) by Top Story journalist and reporter, Gale Weathers. It was released in late 1996 or 1997.
It was written after the conclusion of the Woodsboro Murders in 1996 where Maureen Prescott's killers in 1995 were revealed to be Woodsboro High students, Billy Loomis and Stu Macher. With Weathers proven correct that Cotton Weary was wrongfully convicted of rape and murder, he was exonerated, and now Weathers details her firsthand account, including her own confrontation with the true killers.
Before it was released, Gale was in the midst of writing another book during the original Woodsboro killing spree succeeding Wrongly Accused: The Maureen Prescott Murder.
The book is based on the events of the first installment. Gale is critical of Dewey in his police work, describing him as "oozing with inexperience". Gale also admits to writing false, exaggerated information, describing Kenny's death, saying he was gutted by the infamous, Ghostface, rather than his throat being slashed.
It is also mentioned in the second installment that the ending was different from what Sidney, Randy and Gale recalled. It was revealed that numerous characters from the second installment had read the book, like Dewey, Randy, Joel and Debbie Salt.
It played a big part in the final scenes of the third installment, when Dewey asked Gale to sign the book for her, she opens it to find an engagement ring.
- A defunct promotional website for the book suggests it was released in 1996.
- Given the events of the first film are implied to take place in late-1996, it was likely published in 1997.
- Gale's engagement ring was hidden in the book cut out by Dewey.
Gale's Other Books
These are all of Gale's known books. Some are most likely fictitious and made to exploit the murders. If you look at the screen used props, all of the descriptions on the back have the same text.
- Ghostface Returns (seen in bookstore; fictional)
- Knife of Doom (seen in bookstore; fictional)
- College Terror; Scream 2
- Hollywood Horror; Scream 3
- Clock of Doom (seen in bookstore; fictional)
- Knife of the Hunter (seen in bookstore; fictional)