|Directed by|| Matt Bettinelli-Olpin|
|Produced by|| Kevin Williamson|
|Written by|| James Vanderbilt|
|Distributed by||Spyglass Media Group|
|Preceded by||Scream 4|
It will be directed by Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett, with James Vanderbilt and Guy Busick, serving as writers of the project. Additionally, Kevin Williamson is set to be credited as the executive producer alongside Chad Villella. Principal photography is scheduled to commence in the second half of 2020, taking place in Wilmington, North Carolina when safety protocols will be in place due to the current COVID-19 pandemic.
Craven confirmed he was contracted to work on a fifth and sixth installment of the Scream franchise, to be made if the fourth film achieved a successful release and reception. Following difficulties with script rewrites on Scream 2, Scream 3 and Scream 4, often with pages only being ready on the day of filming, and the related stress of the situation, Craven stated that he would need to see a finalized version of a script for Scream 5 before committing to the production.
Williamson also confirmed his contractual obligation for Scream 4 and Scream 5, having submitted concepts for three films leading up to Scream 6, though his contract for the sixth film had not yet been finalized. Williamson indicated that if a Scream 5 were to be made, it would be a continuation of the story of the characters who lived through Scream 4 but that Scream 4 would not include any cliffhangers that led into the potential sequel.
Actor David Arquette also added his support to the potential future of the franchise, stating "It [the ending] definitely leaves it open," before adding that he would welcome the opportunity to play the character of Dewey in future installments. In May 2011, executive producer Harvey Weinstein confirmed that a sequel was possible, saying that despite Scream 4 performing below The Weinstein Company's financial expectations, he was still happy with the gross it had accrued. In February 2012, when asked about a potential Scream 5, Williamson stated at the time that he did not know, saying "I'm not doing it."
On September 30, 2013, Harvey Weinstein expressed his interest in a fifth installment, stating "I'm begging [Bob Weinstein] to do the movie and just end it. We've milked that cow. On June 25, 2015, the Washington Street Journal conducted an interview with Bob Weinstein. When asked about the possibility of a film continuation after Scream 4, Weinstein firmly denied the possibility of a fifth installment or any further continuation of the film franchise, citing the MTV series as the right place for the franchise to find new life. "It's like putting an art-house movie in an art-house theater," Weinstein said. "Where the teens reside is MTV."
However, in early 2019, it was reported that Blumhouse Productions, which specializes in horror-themed films, was interested in reviving the series, and that head of studio Jason Blum was working on making such Scream installments happen. In November 2019, Spyglass Media Group acquired the rights to make a new Scream film. It was unknown at the time if it would be a sequel, reboot, or remake. It was also unknown if Kevin Williamson will return. The next month, it was announced that the film would feature a new cast but could possibly feature appearances from the previous main cast members.
In March 2020, it was announced that Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett would direct the fifth installment, with Kevin Williamson serving as writer and executive producer, and that it had already entered official development, with filming hoping to begin in May 2020.In May 2020, it was announced that Neve Campbell was in talks to reprise her role as Sidney Prescott in the fifth film. That same month, it was announced David Arquette would be reprising his role of Dewey Riley for the fifth film and James Vanderbilt & Guy Busick were announced as additional writers. It was also confirmed that the film will begin production later in the year in Wilmington, North Carolina when safety protocols are place due to COVID-19.
Notes and Trivia
- Both Kevin Williamson and Wes Craven said that they are contracted for the film.
- Neve Campbell and David Arquette have expressed interest in reappearing in this film.
- Kevin Williamson confirmed that Scream 5 will be continuation of the fourth one, which means it'll carry on from the events of it.
- However, no one has been fully confirmed for this movie and it's unknown if it will be filmed or not.
- Since Kirby Reed's fate was never revealed in the fourth installment, it is possible that Hayden Panettiere will reprise her role as Kirby in the fifth one.
- Still no official confirmation, though Dimension Films is definitely teasing the fans. On December 6, 2011, they tweeted the following: "Which #5 are you looking forward to more? Scream 5 or Scary Movie 5?"
- Following the passing of Wes Craven, and the premiere of the Scream (TV Series) in summer 2015, the film's fate was put into question.
- In 2020, Neve Campbell had commenced talks with Ready or Not directors to discuss potential agreements for a new Scream project which is currently in development.