- "No one wants to stay, but we're all just a little curious."
- —Rachel Murray
Rachel is a shy, self-harming and self-loathing student from St. Mary's school for girls. She is wicked smart, sweet and funny, but hates the way she looks. The night after the video of her and Audrey making out goes viral and Nina Patterson's death, she was brutally murdered by the Lakewood Slasher who is said to be wearing the Brandon James mask. She had a bit of a wild streak, as she enjoyed to go out to a bar and record what happened.
Season 1 (3/10)
Season 2 (2/14)
Scream (TV Series)
Rachel and Audrey are later seen talking about Brookes party at her house. Rachel starts talking negative thoughts about herself but Audrey cheers her up and they share a kiss.
Rachel is reading through the comments of the video of her and Audrey kissing, which has been deleted, and grabs one of her razors and partially cuts herself. she stops when the Lakewood Slasher(disguised as Audrey using a voice changer) calls her. Soon after, Rachel hears a thud coming from the closet. When she opens it no one is there. "Audrey" lures Rachel to the balcony where she finds a noose. The Lakewood Slasher sneaks up on her, quickly puts the noose around her neck and throws Rachel off the balcony, snapping her neck.
Her corpse is later found hung from a ceiling fan, staged as a suicide. However, soon after Maggie Duval inspects her corpse and figures out she was murdered.
At the funeral for the deaths of Tyler, Nina, and Riley, a photo of Rachel can be seen a wall.
Although not physically seen or credited, Rachel's voice can be heard through a video she took using Audrey's camera.
Rachel appears in Audrey's hallucination. Audrey apologises to her, and tells her that she takes full responsibly. They begin to kiss. When Audrey's hallucination ends, it is revealed that Audrey was actually kissing Noah.
After still feeling distraught and traumatized by the YouTube comments of the viral video, Rachel grabs a razor and reveals that she has many scars. As she attempts to cut her arm again, her phone rings, revealing Audrey's name. Rachel quickly puts the razor back in her heart case and talks to Audrey. She walks over to the bathroom, asking a distorted-voice Audrey about the video. They talk for a while before a thudding noise is heard. Rachel walks over to her closet, thinking that Audrey is pranking her. She opens the door, only to find no one inside. A rustling noise is heard outside.
On the other line, Audrey tells Rachel to "come out to their spot" and that it's a "beautiful night." Rachel walks out to the balcony, only to discover that Audrey is actually not outside. Feeling a little scared, Rachel walks outside. "Audrey, where are you?" Rachel asks. She suddenly sees something tied to the railing of her balcony. Walking closer to take a closer look, Rachel begins pulling the rope, only to discover a noose tied at the end.
Confused, Rachel just stares at it. Just after, The Killer, who was impersonating Audrey on the phone, rushes from behind and quickly wraps the noose around a screaming Rachel. He picks her up as she tries to fight back and continues screaming in fear. The Killer throws Rachel over the balcony. Once she lands at the bottom, the noose tightens and crushes her neck, snapping it. Rachel's foot twitches. Her lifeless body sways lightly as The Killer looks down.
Her body is later set up hung from a ceiling fan, as The Killer wants the coroner (Emma's mother) to figure out that it was a murder, instead of Rachel's death being a suicide.
- She is the first character to appear on the series along with Audrey Jensen.
- Similar to Cici Cooper, she was thrown off a balcony and her death was believed to be a suicide until further evidence showed it was a murder. Also, both girls were the third victims of their respective killing sprees.
- She is the first person to fall victim to Kieran Wilcox, and also his first female victim.
- She attended Saint Mary's Catholic School for girls.
- Like Casey Becker, she is found hanging.
- Despite Nina being the series' "opening victim", Rachel shares more similarities to Casey Becker, receiving a call from the killer and ending up hung somewhere, only to be found by their mother.
- Like Arthur Himbry they both were found hanging and their "murder" was first known to the main protagonists via phone call. Also both were the third victims of their respective killing sprees.
- As written in the original script for the pilot, Rachel was intended to die in the first episode.
- At the beginning of Hello, Emma, we see numerous cuts on her arm as a result of her history with self-abuse and depression.
- She is the second person in the series to get a call from the killer.
- The killer disguised their voice as Audrey using the voice changer app to convince Rachel to come outside for the kill.
- She and Audrey met online on a Film Geek site.
- Her death may have been staged as a suicide so that Piper Shaw could make Emma feel Rachel's death was her fault because of her part in the video.
- After the season finale, many fans believed that Audrey was the one that killed Rachel.
- Rachel is played by Sosie Bacon, the daughter of Kevin Bacon.
- Her father Kevin starred in Friday the 13th (1980) which the movie is mention several times in both the movies and in the show. Kevin himself was referenced in Scream 2.
- She appeared as a hallucination to Audrey in Happy Birthday to Me.
- In The Vanishing, it was revealed that during the time of Rachel's death, Piper and Audrey was at Crescent Palms Motel, meaning that Piper wasn't her killer.
- She shares her name with Rachel from Scream 4. They ironically have similar appearances (shoulder length blonde hair) and are technically the third person to die in their respective series.
- It is revealed in When a Stranger Calls that Kieran Wilcox was her murderer.
- Her death bears many similarities to Cassidy Spilker's death in the 2015 found footage supernatural horror film, The Gallows:
- Both Cassidy and Rachel are killed by a masked murderer whose identity is presumed to be deceased.
- Both Cassidy and Rachel are hung from a noose, but are later found dead in a separate location.
- Ironically, her death scene in Hello, Emma aired just 3 days before the release of The Gallows, on July 10th, 2015.
|TV Series Characters|
|Lakewood Four||Emma Duval • Audrey Jensen • Brooke Maddox • Noah Foster|
|Lakewood Residents||Maggie Duval • Miguel Acosta • Gustavo Acosta • Kristin Lang • Gina McLane|
|Previous Lakewood Residents||Kieran Wilcox • Eli Hudson • Zoë Vaughn • Jake Fitzgerald • Seth Branson • Quinn Maddox • Haley Meyers • Tina Hudson • Eddie Hayes • Kevin Duval • Clark Hudson • Nina Patterson • Rachel Murray • Riley Marra • Tyler O'Neill • Will Belmont • Brandon James • Piper Shaw|
|Lakewood Slasher(s)||Piper Shaw • Kieran Wilcox • Third Killer|