- "Movies are not responsible for our actions."
- —Casey to her film class.
Casey Cooper, better known as the nickname Cici, was a minor character in Scream 2 (1997 film). Set in Spring 1998, she was a film student at Windsor College, approximately nineteen years old. She was a sorority sister at Omega Bega Zeta, and dated a man named Ted, who appeared to be an alcoholic.
While on sober sister duty, she was murdered by either Mickey Altieri or Nancy Loomis. In their previous film theory class, she sided with her classmate Randy Meeks over Mickey Altieri in their discussion on sequels. She rejected the idea that movies caused crimes, saying that people are ultimately responsible for their own actions.
Overall, she was the third character to fall victim to the 2nd Ghostface killing spree. She was a target due to her forename replicating Casey Becker, the first target of the original Woodsboro Massacre. She sided with Randy Meeks, one of the survivors of Woodsboro on the discussion of movies not being responsible for our actions, and her dislike for sequels.
Cici took part in the sequel discussion in her film theory class along with Randy Meeks and Mickey Altieri. Her stance was that life didn't imitate art, which was the opposite standpoint of Mickey's. After class Cici attended the press conference concerning the recent murders of Maureen Evans and Phil Stevens.
That night Cici was the "sober sister" for her sorority, Omega Beta Zeta, which meant she was on call, should a drunk sister need a ride. She received a call from the killer. Ghostface started questioning Cici about whether or not she was alone and whether or not she wants to die. Cici, scared, runs outside and attempts to call campus security. She cannot receive a signal since she took the cordless phone too far from its base and is frightened by Dawnie, a sorority sister, who pops up behind her and asks if anyone called for her. She's getting ready to leave when the phone rings. She answers it, believing the caller is Cici's boyfriend, Ted, and gives the phone back to Cici. Ghostface uses the distraction to sneak into the house.
After Dawnie leaves, Cici is momentarily relieved, thinking Ted is really calling for her. Then she realizes, it's the killer on the phone, when he says "You wish it was Ted." She rushes sets the house alarm, while listening to Ghostface's taunts. She hears weird noises and walks around the downstairs, investigating. After taking a breath to calm herself, the phone rings again.
After she answers it, she is attacked by Ghostface, who comes rushing out of a nearby closet. In a desperate bid to stay alive, she races upstairs with him chasing after her. After narrowly escaping the killer's knife a few times, Cici reaches the top floor and hesitates at a glass balcony. Ghostface uses this to his advantage by grabbing her and throwing her through the glass door shattering it.
She dizzily tries to crawl away while also trying to stand up, but before she is able to get back onto her feet, she is stabbed twice in the back. She is then picked up by Ghostface and thrown off the balcony to her death.
In the aftermath of her death, Gale Weathers and Dewey Riley discover from Chief Hartley that her real name is Casey. Gale then uses her intuition to work out the pattern aligned with the first two victims' names, that all mirrored the original Woodsboro Murders, which began in 1995 with the murder of Maureen Prescott, and ended in 1996. This meant, she was killed because her name was similar to Casey Becker's.
Behind the Scenes
- She was described as "pretty with a lively energy about her" in the original script.
- A publicity still shows Cici on the campus quad with Lois and Murphy. Their body language hints at Cici being lower on the social totem poll. It's unknown if this was from a deleted scene or strictly photographed for publicity. Cici is seen in the background of the finished film, when Sidney tells her friends, who Dewey is shortly after the press conference.
- An early script for Scream 3 stated Christine (before her surname was Hamilton) played Cici in Stab 2.
- In the scene, where Ghostface is tossing Cici over the side of the balcony, a man's head can briefly be seen popping up in the low right-hand corner of the camera region. This was most likely a crew member involved in the cinematography, that assumed they had finished filming that scene.
- When Ghostface stabs Cici in the back, there is no blood on the knife, marking yet another mistake in that scene.
- Sarah Michelle Gellar signed onto her role, without knowing what role she was playing, based on the success of the original film. She filmed it after finishing work on I Know What You Did Last Summer, and later joked that after her character was killed in that film, she went to Scream 2 to get killed again.
- Cici's death scene appears in Halloween H2O: 20 Years Later when Molly and Sarah are watching Scream 2 on television.
- Cici's name is similar to Casey Becker. When the sheriff is investigating the string of murders, however, he positively identifies her as Cassandra, which "Casey" is often a nickname of.
- It's revealed in her death scene that there are two killers: one Ghostface is on the phone with Dawnie and at the same time the other Ghostface sneaks into the house without a phone in hand.
- Cici has the same last name as the Scream 4 victim Marnie Cooper. It was unknown if they were related.
- Alicia Silverstone auditioned for Cici's role.
- It is unknown who portrayed her in Stab 2. It is not Christine Hamilton, as fans have suggested for various reasons.
- An old dummy draft of Scream 3 suggested the opening kill Christine Perkins portrayed Cici in Stab 2, and her boyfriend Ben Damon was also murdered.
- However, the eventual release of the film changes her name to Christine Hamilton, and her boyfriend is Cotton Weary, not a character named Ben.
- Additionally, the three dead celebrities listed by Mark Kincaid are Cotton, Sarah and Tom, as Cotton was a talk show host.
- The news reporter, portrayed by Nancy O'Dell also does not mention Christine's role as Cici which would indicate a stronger motive and understanding as for why Cotton was murdered, and Neil and Sidney would not be speculating about Cotton's enemies if they were aware of Christine's role in a movie based on Sidney's life story.
- Liev Schreiber's dog is leg by a co-ed in front of the crowd that goes to investigate after news of Cici's murder.
|Cici Cooper has a Photo Gallery.|
- "Movies are not responsible for our actions."
- "You've got a hard-on for Cameron."
- "'Drink with your brain' — that's our motto."
- "Why do you always answer a question with a question?"
- "And I'm impatient."
- "I don't think I'm alone."
- "Don't forget to set the alarm." (Dawnie and Nancy Loomis)
- "You wish it was Ted."
- "Do you wanna die tonight, Cici?"
|Scream 2 Characters|
|Principal Characters||Sidney Prescott • Gale Weathers • Dewey Riley • Ghostface|
|Recurring Supporting Characters||Randy Meeks • Cotton Weary|
|Supporting Characters||Cici Cooper • Derek • Hallie • Joel • Maureen Evans • Mickey Altieri • Nancy Loomis • Phil Stevens|
|Recurring Minor Characters||Maureen Prescott • Heather Graham • Nancy O'Dell|
|Minor Characters||Officer Richards • Officer Andrews • Tori Spelling • Lois • Murphy • Lewis Hartley • Gus Gold • Dawnie • Joshua Jackson|
|Ghostface(s)||Nancy Loomis • Mickey Altieri|